I like writing topical news-related editorials on the weekends, but I am going to step away from this week’s news and the usual December things to talk instead about crisis hotlines for a little bit. Grim? Maybe. But it’s all about balance, not everything is nice.
According to Wikipedia crisis hotlines or helplines were “Initially set up to help those contemplating suicide, many have expanded their mandate to deal more generally with emotional crises. Similar hotlines operate to help people in other circumstances, including rape victims, bullying victims, runaway children, human trafficking victims, and people who identify as LGBT or intersex.”
While some are brimming with holly jolly cheer others are feeling cold and empty. Reasons are innumerable, because we are all so wonderfully different, but what matters is that help is out there for people who are ready to talk it out (or text it out). While getting help, please remember that most of these crisis lines are answered by trained volunteers, and they are not a substitute for long-term counseling.
As of December 2017
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255, and TTY at 800-799-4889
- The Trevor Project, for LGBTQ ages 13-24, 1-866-488-7386, or text TREVOR to 1-202-304-1200 Please note that the texting option is not 24/7
- Trans Lifeline (877) 565-8860 Please note that this line is not 24/7
- Veterans CrisisLine 1-800-273-8255 option 1, or text to 838255
- Crisis Hotline (775) 784-8090, or text ANSWER to 839863
- Crisis Textline text HOME to 741741
As of July 2022
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline has been updated and is now 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. The three-digit number is so much faster and easier to recall in an emergency.
- It’s available 24/7 for calls and texting
- USA only as of July 2022
The crisis lines above are based in the United States, but the following Wikipedia link has information for crisis hotlines around the world. Help really is everywhere.
Use what resources you need, and be good to yourself this season & always.
- Ready to read something lighter? Here’s: I Bought a Cycledesk, Week Zero